Friday, July 30, 2010

Two Treats

I had two treats this morning. The first, when I headed down to breakfast
was the sight of LAND! Capt. Smith had taken us on a track between the
two westernmost islands of the Azores, Flores and Corvo. I thought the
sight of the cliffs of Brest would be the last land I would see until
Montauk Point. It was nice to see the peaks of these volcanoes sticking
up through the blue ocean. There is something reassuring about seeing
terra firma while at sea, even if you don't land there.

The next treat was, when I opened the library, it was downright COOL. The
temperature had dropped 10° from closing last night to a chilly 68°. It
hasn't been this comfortable here since July 1 when we fueled up. I guess
they finally stopped pumping from the fuel tank below me because the floor
was no longer warm. I expect to have to wear long sleeve shirts the rest
of trip and possibly even a sweater. Anything is better than roasting.

Eight days and counting. See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment