Sunday, July 11, 2010

Malta day 2






Saturday was more restful for me. I took a trip, also arranged by the College to the Blue Lagoon on the tiny island of Comino. We travelled by an excursion boat filled mostly with young Europeans in Malta for an English immersion summer program. We arrived at the Blue Lagoon and were greeted by a spectacular sight of the clearest, bluest water that I have ever seen. Surrounding it was a rugged, rocky hillside with no sandy beach, just rocks all the way to the water. Perched on these rocks were thousands of daytrippers that you had to practically climb over to get to the water. After finding my own little perch, I cautiously climbed down the rocks to the water. It was spectacular, clean and cool. I stayed in for hours. I swam away from the crowds into several hidden caves. One of these caves opened out into the open sea. It was amazing. I didn’t want to get out.


After a restful return journey home, I finally ventured into the City of Valleta on Saturday night. On the way I met the Ship’s Doctor and his son. We had heard about a hidden elevator that would take us up to the City and luckily we found it. We got to the City center just in time to find out that most of the City closes at 19:00, but we were able to find some tourist shops open and a comfortable cafĂ©. I left them after a few hours and went to the dock are to make some calls and use the Wi-Fi available on the dock to upload some pictures. I also had some excellent calamari and prawns for dinner.

1 comment:

  1. wow swimming in that gorgeous lagoon, i don't blame you for not wanting to get out! that in itself would make my trip, glad you got to enjoy something so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete