Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Rolling Along on the Atlantic

I could tell we were definitely out of the Mediterranean this morning
because, while lying in bed, I felt the old familiar rolling of the ship.
It wasn't too bad, but after a three week absence of any kind of rolling,
it was noticeable. It takes some time to get one's sea-legs back and
re-learn how to do the mundane things of life with your world constantly
moving below you. The shower is interesting as you bang off the cold
steel walls while trying to wash. Even more fun is putting on your
pants. I try to do this near my bunk so I can fall into it if I have to.
Hopefully this is as bad as it is going to get. I know the Atlantic is
capable of much worse.

An advantage of being back in the Ocean is that the ship is already
starting to cool down. The Empire State VI is 48 years old and the air
conditioning system doesn't work well in tropical waters. I could tell we
were out of the tropical waters when I woke up shivering, I was unprepared
for this. I went to sleep comfortable under a single, light blanket. By
the morning, that was not enough. I scrambled in the dark to find another
to pull over me. By the time I got to work, the library had cooled to a
tolerable 80° and was dropping. The library AC still has to fight the
heat rising up from the fuel tanks, but now it has a better chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment