Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A Rude Awakening

I did so much on Malta that I'm still pooped. I decided to skip breakfast
and sleep in this morning. Since the latest I can get a cooked breakfast
is 08:00 (cereal & bagels are available all day) and I don't have to be at
work until 10:30, there is a long gap. Today I thought that sleeping in
would be a better use of my time. No such luck.

There was supposed to be a boat drill yesterday after lunch. I was told
that they wanted me to report to the library for the next drill to show
videos. Yesterday afternoon came and went with no drill. Instead, they
decided to have the drill instead this morning, right in the middle of my
sound sleep. The lifeboat alarm is loud, as it should be, enough to wake
the dead. I hate when the alarm buzzer on my clock goes off. I really
hated to hear this.

Dutifully, I got dressed with yesterday's clothes, grabbed my life vest,
jacket and hat and headed for the library. Since the library is the
reverse direction from the lifeboats, I had to fight traffic to get down
to it. I got down to the sweatbox that is my library, set up the video and
waited. And waited. And waited. They never came. Apparently someone
changed the plan and forgot to notify me. I had a few fleeting
nightmarish moments that maybe this was for real and they were evacuating
the ship without me. I have no means of communication down here, I would
never know. I love libraries, but I don't want to die in one sinking in
500' feet of water.

After about 45 minutes, the all-clear signal sounded to end the drill. I
returned to my cabin and tried to resume my sleep to no avail. The
grinding and pounding of the work crews started up immediately. I gave up
.. I went down to the mess, grabbed some Mini Wheats for breakfast and
started my day.

3 comments:

  1. hey rich that whole drill thing sounds alot like something that could happen at nassau.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rich - Can't tell you how much I've enjoyed all your blogs. Through you, my family was able to keep track of the SST and all its adventures. My son is on the ship and, as luck would have it, he is probably the only Maltese person on the ship. Yes, my parents were born in Malta and he was able to visit family while there. What an exciting time for us to know that in the history of Maritime, his first sea term ends up going to Malta. Glad you enjoyed this absolutely breathtaking country. Good luck on your voyage to France and look forward to more of your blogs. This one made me laugh the most.

    Happy sailing,
    Jane Koldras

    ReplyDelete
  3. my son was on the last cruise but i am still following your blog.
    your photos are beautiful. malta looks amazing.
    have a wonderful journey.
    linda patti

    ReplyDelete