Friday, June 19, 2009

In the Realm of the Polar Bear

This morning sometime I crossed the Arctic Circle for the 2nd time in my
life and entered "the Realm of the Polar Bear" or what is scientifically
called The Frigid Zone. I haven't seen any Polar Bear yet, or for that
matter, the icebergs they float on.

The dictionary defines the Circle as "an imaginary line drawn parallel to
the equator, at 23 degrees 28' S(outh) of the North Pole". It is the
futhest northern limit of the circumpolar sun. We are traversing the
upper coast of Iceland, heading west into the Norwegian Sea.

Frigid zone is an apt name. It is chilly out there today, probably in the
upper 30's. Unfortunately, the ship hasn't adjusted to the rapid drop in
temperature and my cabin was freezing last night. I slept under 3
blankets wearing flannel pjs, socks, gloves and a wool cap! All while
bright sunshine poured into the room past the edges of my window shade.
It was sunny all night long.

No comments:

Post a Comment