Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Commuting

It takes me a whole 5 minutes to commute to the Library from my cabin,
barring a traffic jam of cadets lined up for chow in the Mess. I walk
down a hallway on my deck to the main interior ladderwell. I proceed down
10 flights of stairs to the Mess deck. I then go through the mess to the
Port ladderwell and down 4 more flights. It's a total of 98 stairs, down
7 decks. When I'm done or take a break, it's the same in reverse, only
harder uphill. I do this at least 6 times a day. It's a long way back up
to the bathroom.

The stairs in the ladderwell are a real interesting challenge when the
ship is rocking. You have to time your steps just right so you don't go
flying up or down the stairs. When the weather is right, I can change up
my commute by going down part of the way on the outside ladders. Same
distance, different view. All in all, most days it's less challenging
than driving down Old Country Road, and I don't have to worry about
parking.

No comments:

Post a Comment