Thursday, May 7, 2009

Packing


What do you pack for 7 weeks at sea? I'll be thousands of miles from the nearest Wal*Mart for long stretches of time so I have to bring almost everything with me. Some things are easy to plan on like enough clothes for all types of weather and laundry supplies to clean them. Food is taken care of, but a few snacks are always good to have. And I can't forget a 2 month's supply of cigars.

There are some things you never dream of until the ship is underway. Things like duct tape to keep loose items from banging around as the ship rocks and rolls, and it does plenty of that. Velcro to secure small items. A bed rail to keep from falling out of bed. A comforter and extra pillow to supplement the institutional ones provided. I also have my electronic gadgets like my own GPS to chart the voyage, a short wave radio to hear the news of the world, a digital camera so I can post pics. my MP3 player, my laptop. Plenty of batteries and chargers for all are a necessity.
The ship has a ship's store that sells some small items, but it is better to be prepared. I have to carry a knife and flashlight with me at all times. What other librarian job requires one to carry a knife at work? Maybe one in a bad neighborhood, but I'm sure even there it is frowned upon.

3 comments:

  1. Do you have satellite internet on the ship? I would love to do what you are doing but my wife would disown me. ;-) As a former Navy man, anchors away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have text only e-mail on the ship that is sent out and received in bulk packets 3 times a day. I will put my e-mail address up when I get it before I sail. I have to do all of my blog updates from the ship by e-mailing a friend and having him post it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buen Viaje, Rich! Post some photos for the landlocked back here at NCC.

    ReplyDelete