Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Underway

After being stuck at Montauk for almost 40 hours to fix the e-mail, it never got fixed so Captain Richard Smith decided to continue our journey without it. That’s the reason for lack of my blog entries from sea so far. So much for my grand plan. I understand that they will attempt to fix it in our first port.

The sail so far has been great. I write this on Sunday May 24, 2009. We’ve traveled over 1,600 miles toward our first port, the Azores. The weather has been fantastic, warm and sunny outdoors with calm or just lightly rolling seas. As I write this we’re waiting for the barbecue grills to heat up for our all-day Memorial Day feast of steaks, burgers, hot dogs, salads and ice cream floats.

I wish the indoor temperature was as nice. The ship was very inconsistent from deck to deck. The first few days, my cabin was freezing and the Library was like Hades. The Library temperature got so bad that it was driving my patrons away. One step in the Library and they turned around and left. On Friday, when the Library reached 97 degrees, the Chief Mate shut us down until the temperature could be adjusted to safe levels. By Saturday morning conditions had drastically improved. My cabin temperature moderated too. A much more pleasant environment.

On to the Azores.

No comments:

Post a Comment