Thursday, June 24, 2010

Greetings from Dublin

I made it through the long flight here, made even longer by the fact that Maritime had us arrive at JFK airport 3 hours early. No one was there to assist us with ticketing, gate, etc., but we figured it out anyway. There were about 200 of us on board, mostly 2nd and 3rd class cadets and all were well behaved especially so because it was an alcohol free flight. The flight finally took off about 7:30 EST and re arrived in Dublin at 1:15 EST on Wednesday morning. The organization was better on this end with busses waiting to take us to the ship.

The old Empire State VI looked in good shape, no worse for the wear of the last 6 week journey. We were greeted by rousing cheers by the cadets that were leaving and couldn't wait to go home. The transition was slow as those who were departing had to vacate their spaces before we could move in.

I met with Joe, my predecessor who showed me all of the improvements he made to the Library since May 10. He helped me get my stored bags from the library up to my newly repaired cabin and I helped him get his stuff out for the flight home and then he was off. Except for the fact that my room was a mess from the construction and I had no blanket, pillow, towels or toilet paper, I was able to settle in. It is the same cabin I've had on all of my cruises and it felt like home despite everything.

After resting a while, I headed into Dublin for some sightseeing. Not having been here in 7 years, I found the City to be a changed place. The economic boom of the last 10 years was evident in all the new construction and a new light rail system through the city. The cadets, as usual when we come here, had taken over the Temple Bar area of the City, Dublin's famous drinking district. All seemed on their best behavior, a credit to Maritime discipline. I activated my cell phone, did some shopping then headed back to the ship to sleep off my jet lag.

Tomorrow I am meeting an honored guest to the ship, Anne Kenney the Dean of Libraries at Cornell University and an acquaintance of the Maritime Library Director, who is in town for a conference. The ship will depart Friday night (really Saturday morning) at 12:15 because a cruise ship is coming into our dock and forcing us to vacate 8 hours earlier than scheduled. Then it is on to Malta, a 12 day journey away. I look forward to smooth sailing.

2 comments:

  1. Rich,

    Again, best of luck to you. I hope to god that you are sleeping on the port side. Remember to wear earplugs!

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Rich: My 1C Cadet is not a frequent communicator and she is quite shy, so I look forward to your blogs. Sun, Sand & Fair Seas from the Bahamas.

    ReplyDelete