Thursday, August 5, 2010

Packing Up

The cruise is almost over. We're sailing through the Nantucket Shoals at
this point on Thursday morning. The weather is warm and clear. The seas
are calm. I closed the library for public services on Tuesday night, but
my work is not yet done. I've been chasing down scofflaws who still have
books checked out and I have to pack up and straighten the library.

Yesterday I started packing up both my personal effects and the items from
the library that have to be returned to shore. The library packing is a
strenuous undertaking. Fifty one boxes came over to the ship before the
cruise and I expect a similar number to return. The majority of the books
remain on the ship, but many have to be returned. Most of what has to go
back is the Gove Collection of sea books. The bulk of these are large,
hardcover books and a packed case weighs about 40 lbs. I also have to
send back all of the 300+ DVDs, several cases of reference books (also
heavy) and miscellaneous supplies that are left over.

Some of the cadets are complaining about the library being shut. The
rumor is that I did it to have a few days off to relax before getting
home. Ha! This is the hardest I have worked all cruise and, to make
things worse, the AC is on the fritz again. It is hot here.

Once the packing is done and my cruise report is finished, I have to
arrange to have the cartons brought from the ship to the Luce Library
after we dock. They have to be hand carried up 2 decks, across the
gangway to the dock, placed on pallets, driven across campus and
delivered. Thank God there are plenty of cadets to do that work. When
the last box is delivered, my work is done. Then , all that is left to do
to do is to return to the ship, get signed off by the Captain, retrieve
my belongings, and head home once again bidding farewell to the Empire
State VI.

3 comments:

  1. Many thanks, Rich, for the ongoing blogging about the second half of the cruise. I know we have been less then faithful about commenting but we do put up the 'librarian alert' on Chatzy every time you put up a new post.

    Thanks again. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! sounds like a lot of work, packing up!

    Thanks for the blog, Rich, & for keeping the parents informed. Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rich,

    You have made me much more knowledgable about what's been happening, than my son. Thank you for taking the time to keep us informed, it has been greatly appreciated! Nancy Geisel

    ReplyDelete