Friday, July 10, 2009

The journey's end

The sailors have returned home from the sea. We arrived back at Fort Schuyler right on time this morning at 10:00. Captain Smith, with the guidance of the pilots and the tugs, brought us back home to the spot we left what seems like so long ago. The day was perfect, warm and sunny. The trip through the harbor and up the river was beautiful.

The only thing to mar the day was a fire on the Throgs Neck Bridge that prevented many loved ones from getting to the Fort on time or at all. My sons, Scott and Ryan had to turn around and head home because the traffic on the Queens side made it impossible to get to the Bronx on time.

After docking, I had to supervise the transfer of 50 boxes of materials that had to return to the shore library. Thanks to the hard working cadets, I did not have to do the lifting myself. My lifting was reserved for getting all of my belongings out of my cabin and to the end of the dock where my girlfriend Pat waited patiently to give me a ride home. By the time I left the Fort about 4:30 pm, the TS Empire State was a ghost ship. Many cadets and most officers had gone home or off to some relaxation. It certainly was no longer the crowded, noisy, lively ship it was just hours before, until next year.

I'd like to say "Thank you" to all my readers for letting me share this unique and wonderful experience with you all.

I will be posting pictures of the trip here after I return from the American Library Association Convention in Chicago next week. You see, I'm not done travelling yet. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the wonderful job you did with the blog, very descriptive and enjoyable to read. My son is a Maritime Alum and you made me feel the excitement, thrills and first time wonderment of finding himself on his past cruises again every day reading your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks rich, just read the whole trip, sounds totally awesome and even the tedium sounds interesting! i hope you have more pictures to post somewhere!
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete